Thursday, July 22, 2010

Joelle Maddyson

Today Anna and I drove to Murfreesboro to spend some time with our musician friend, Joelle Maddyson. We spent the day at her apartment chatting, drinking coffee, and sharing music.

She is a classically trained opera singer, but writes and sings the most beautiful songs in a completely different style. As a classically trained violinist, I understand how she feels. She has used her technical training as the groundwork to create music that really comes from her heart. That's exactly what I do with my violin when I perform with my sister, Anna Johnson! Joelle sings very passionately, and accompanies herself on the piano. Her lyrics reflect deep emotions that she has felt - real experiences that make her performances very sincere, heartfelt, and personal.

Anna and I are looking forward to sharing a show with her at JoZoara's in Murfreesboro. It's a nice coffee shop where we will take turns playing originals, and helping each other out. She's going to play piano with us, and we'll bring some harmonies and violin to her music. It's going to be a wonderful experience! (I'm not quite sure when the show will be yet, but I'll let you know!)


Random story: Toward the end of his life, Joelle's grandfather made beautiful fiddles for a hobby. Although none of her family plays the fiddle, they've kept all of them as a reminder of their loved one. (I'm glad they kept them! They have wonderful sound!) These fiddles have sortof become a family heirloom.

For the past few months, Joelle has been working on her album. She just finished six songs (I think...). They're quite fantastic! She worked with the same producer with which we recorded our album: Billy Smiley. Although she's done for now, Joelle would like to record a few more of her songs. She wanted to do a more acoustic set, and asked me to play one of these old, precious fiddles on the album! I am honored to be able to play! The fiddle needs a few repairs... It hasn't been played for about thirty years. But considering the situation, it has a wonderful sound! Such open, resonant sound. It'll be great to play on her album. Her family will be thrilled to know that one of their great-grandfather's fiddles is finally being played. I am honored to be the one to play it! Thanks Joelle!

If you'd like to hear some of Joelle's music, check out her myspace! Or any other site that she has. She's great at self-promotion! :)

(That was a great friend plug, wasn't it? Haha!)

3 comments:

  1. Julia, you're so sweet.... I love you, sister!

    Joelle's MySpace is: http://www.myspace.com/joellemaddyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg....I JUST now saw this. Julia....I adore you! I miss you gals a whole bunch and I can't wait to drink coffee again. You ladies are so special and important to me not just as phenomenally talented musical peers, but as my dearest friends. Julia, thank you so much for writing such incredibly kind words about my music. You make my heart soar!! You and Anna are so talented, and I listen to Anna's album all the time when I am feeling a need to recharge! I love you guys! You're too sweet! And Anna's myspace: http://www.myspace.com/annajohnsonmusic

    HUGS!!!!! -Joelle

    ReplyDelete